Breast Cancer AwarenessWritten by Cally Marks
The designation of October as “Breast Cancer Awareness Month” which in South Africa reflects a nationwide drive.
The incidence of breast cancer among South African women is increasing and is one of the most common cancers among South African Women. It is important as a woman not only to be educated about breast cancer but that they regularly do self-breast examinations, mammograms, clinical breast examinations etc. It is important for women to know what is normal for their bodies and to be aware of symptoms of cancer, as early detection improves treatment outcomes.
This is something that we cannot be in denial about as it could happen to anyone. Cancer is one of the most serious diseases women face however a diagnosis does not have to be a death sentence if it is detected early enough. Early detection of the condition can lead to effective treatment and a positive prognosis.
Anyone can get involved and show their support for breast cancer survivors and fighters by joining organisations or joining a breast cancer event.
1. Cancer buddies, survivors that provide mentorship for individuals who have been diagnosed.
Support them: cancerbuddies.org.za
2. Journey of Hope, this is made up of breast cancer survivors who travel the country on Honda motorcycles in aid of breast cancer awareness, give educational talks and raise funds while they travel.
3. Breast Cancer Walkathon, the Avon Justine iThembe Crusade Walkaton takes place in Emmarentia, joburg. Participants can choose to either take part in the 5km or 8km and enjoy a fun array of festivities at the finish line.
Support them: www.ithembawalkathon.co.za
4. Pink Drive, this organisation gives free mammograms and clinical breast exams to individuals who do not have medical aid.
Support them: pinkdrive.co.za
Tune in to EldosFM on:
What do you think?
National Hood Weather Forecast!
Join our mailing list!
- How to Survive the Heatwave November 15, 2018
- Yellow Ribon Foundation Launched in Eldos December 14, 2017
- EldosFM Pouts for a Purpose October 31, 2017
- Legends Luxury Mobile Barber Shop Makes History September 11, 2017
- Wayde van Niekerk Easily Smashes Michael Johnson's 400m Diamand League Record July 07, 2017